
Me and the kiddos on my 29th birthday
Today was a great day, which is surprising because I don't think I went to bed until 2am and I got up at 6am! In the past, I've let myself feel guilty on Mother's Day, because while I do try hard, I obviously fall short of the perfect, ideal mother that I wish I could be each and every day. But today I ditched the guilt and just enjoyed my family.
We have to get our kids up early on Sundays because we have 9am church, but they were all up extra early on their own because they were excited to give me my gifts. I got a new waffle iron and a baking stone, both things I really wanted. The kid's each decorated a card for me. Mike stayed home from church with Benson and Jillian because Benson was running a fever yesterday. The musical number that the Primary did went really well during Sacrament Meeting and I felt like my Sharing Time also went well. Mike made and cleaned up all of the meals today and I think I only changed 1 diaper.
But I think my favorite part of the day was this poem that Mike wrote for me. I'm sure nobody else will get all the references that so accurately describe my life right now. It captures some of the most challenging parts of my job these days but also the most wonderful and fulfilling parts. I hope it will help me to remember this wonderful, crazy time of raising small children and the myriad of emotions I feel on a daily basis. I love my job and feel so blessed!
Happy Mother’s Day – A Poem for Mommy
(“More Milk!”...I mean “Please may I have more milk?...right now!”)
You remove our shirts and throw into the wash,
Stained by under-thanked dessert, strawberries with ganache.
You sort through mountains of pajamas soiled,
Yet the manicotti somehow is not over-boiled.
“We need a new show!”, “Not Ben’s turn for computer!”
Every role filled; chauffeur, maid, nurse, and tutor.
Loading up all four kids just to run by the store,
“Gracie, time to come in.” (Duck and cover, it’s war!)
Showing love and some class where mere mortals couldn’t take it,
“Through the Plan of Salvation, son, Zach and Spot just might make it.”
Teaching and guiding with gentle love showing,
Their fruits, Unlike the seeds in our yard you’ll be sowing.
When older and wiser and perhaps more sincere,
They’ll honor and bless your great name – yet you’ll fear…
That still through it all, you somehow fell short,
Then I’ll remind you, my love, with a simple retort,
“That the serpent with less, beguiles many an Eve,
With Promises unworthy the spit-up on your sleeve.”
Mind you don’t pay it, with no time for rest,
Breeny’s crying underfoot, clutching Jilly to her chest.
Besides, the neighbors are here and you have to watch theirs too,
“I’m heading off to work, do these pants go with this shoe?”
With reverence understated and Sunday clothes that match!
With little thanks, you keep at it (Just like Desmond in the Hatch!)
No analogy clever or metaphor bizarre,
Could ever fully describe exactly what you are.
More than an angel sent from heaven to band-aid all their bruises,
Guiding future lives and destinies, a queen and mother chooses.
“Bless you” forever (not just for wiping the nose of big brother)
We love you more than we can say, children always want their mother.
5 comments:
okay, seriously, that poem was amazing! Good job Mike! And you're a wonderful mom, Jessica!
Great poem! I loved it! Your kids are very lucky to have you as their mom! Love you!
A wonderful poem for a wonderful Mommy. Your kids are so lucky Jess! Hope you had a wonderful day! (only one diaper?!?)
What a great family! What a nice thing to look back on. Happy birthday, as well!
Hey, we would love to see you guys in August. Keep us updated as the time gets closer to you being here!!
Post a Comment