Thursday, October 23, 2008

Fall Break - Trip to Utah!

In previous posts I have mentioned my new twin neices and nephew who were born within the last two months but live in Utah, too far away for me to hold. When I found out that my parents and sisters were planning to go to Utah for Fall Break, the wheels in my head started turning and I developed a perfect plan (in my opinion). I would just drive out with them. The problem was that Mike couldn't really afford to take as much time off work as he needed to. So we called Mike's mom (Grandma Kathy) and convinced her to come up for a visit to help care for the kiddos so I could go hold my neices and nephew. I ended up taking Sabrina with me, because she is a pretty easy kid, and the thought of leaving her home for so long made me want to cry. Yes she is the baby and she is spoiled.
So last Tuesday, Grandma Kathy flew into town to watch Ben and Grace and a few hours later, Sabrina and I headed to Utah with Grandpa Jeff, Aunt Jenny, and Aunt Sarah. My mom was already in Utah helping with new baby Spencer who was born the week before.
It was a great trip! Sabrina was pretty darn near perfect the entire time, even the 17+ hour drive both ways! I got lots of baby holding in and enjoyed spending time with my siblings, parents, extended family, and even some of my friends from Sacramento. Even though there were 3 new babies, Sabrina was still quite spoiled and I think enjoyed all of the attention. I was especially grateful to be there for my twin neices' baby blessings on Sunday. I really appreciate my parents and sisters for letting us crash their trip and putting up with Sabrina and I while we were out there. I definitely would not have made it out there without their help!
And Grandma Kathy survived the experience and claims she even enjoyed it! In all seriousness, I have been told that Benson and Grace were actually really good and I know that they had TONS of fun. They went to McDonald's, story time at the library, and even the zoo (and probably other places that I don't know about). We really appreciate her willingness to come and help us out and I especially appreciate that she took such good care of everything while I was away. And I must also acknowledge my husband who also sacrificed lots so that I could do this, including taking Ben and Grace to Stake Conference by himself and doing Grace's hair on a Sunday! I came home on Mike's birthday to a clean house with everything taken care of! Enough with the appreciation...here is the photographic evidence...and there is a LOT!
I call this collage Aunt Jess! I love being an Aunt! 1 - Baby Spencer who is the son of my sister Kathleen and her husband Bryce, 2 - Baby Aislee who is the daughter of my brother Paul and his wife Molly, 3 - Baby Olivia who is Aislee's identical twin sister and therefore also the daughter of Paul and Molly, 4 - Spencer, 5 - Aislee, 6 - Olivia
1 - The beginning of the journey, 2 - Aunt Sarah holding Spencer, 3 - Aunt Jenny holding Olivia and Aunt Sarah holding Aislee, 4 - The babies sleeping while we ate lunch at Fazoli's, 5 - Grandma Stevens holding Aislee, 6 - Sabrina, Aunt Sarah, Aunt Jenny, Aunt Kathleen, and Spencer at BYU (Funny story about this trip to BYU, I drove my rental car and we picked up Kathleen and Spencer. When we tried to remove his carseat that I had so expertly buckled in, we couldn't get the seat belt out! We seriously tried for forever to get it out and if it hadn't been for Aunt Sarah's skills my next move was to find some tools and remove the entire seat belt. It's a good thing that Kathleen is a calmer mother than I am!), 7 - Sabrina playing at the Scarecrow Festival at Thanksgiving Point (I should have taken more pictures because we met one of my good friends from Sacramento there with her 2 kids, but I didn't) 8 - Sarah riding my sister Chelsea's scooter, 9 - Grandma Stacey riding my Aunt Robyn's motorcycle, you don't see your mom ride a motorcycle every day, or at least I don't
Friday night I was able to go out for dessert with some of my good friends from California - Lisa and Elisabeth (in the back) live in Utah, but Rachel lives in Las Vegas. What a great coincidence that we were both in Utah the same weekend! It was so fun to get together and talk to these girls who I love, admire, and respect. Hope we can do it again ladies, possibly in a more exotic location next time!
On Saturday we went miniature golfing with my family and my sister-in-law Molly's family who were also in town for the blessing of the twins
1 - Sabrina and Mommy, 2 - Aunt Molly helping Sabrina golf, 3 - Uncle Paul and Aunt Molly, I think she was yelling "Let me be my own person!" at this point, 4 - Grandpa Jeff and Sabrina, 5 - Sabrina feeding Uncle Matt leaves (he was a good sport), 6 - Aunt Jenny golfing, 7 - Grandma Stacey and Sabrina, 8 - My cousins Danielle and Stephanie holding the twins (don't ask me who is holding whom because I don't know...I know I deserve the Aunt of the Year Award!), 9 - Aunt Chelsea and Sabrina
After mini golfing we headed to Rock Canyon Park to eat pizza and some people went ice blocking.
1 - Aunt Sarah holding Spencer, 2 - Aunt Chelsea kissing Aislee, 3 - Aunt Jenny holding Aislee, 4 - Aunt Sarah holding Aislee (I don't know who had Olivia at this point, but I only got pictures of everyone with Aislee), 5 - Uncle Matt wrestling with Sabrina, 6 - Grandma Stacey holding Sabrina after Uncle Paul took her ice blocking (and no I didn't get a good picture despite making her go down 3 different times! I tried.) 7 - Kathleen, Paul, and Jenny, 8 - Everyone in my family who was there except for me and Aunt Molly, 9 - Sisters!
Olivia and Aislee's Blessing Day!
1 - The Burkinshaw side who were able to be at the blessing, 2 - The Wright's (Bryce, Kathleen, and baby Spencer), 3 - The Burkinshaw's (Paul holding Olivia, Molly holding Aislee, 4 - Olivia and Aislee, 5 - Aislee, Sabrina, and Olivia, 6 - Sabrina, 7 - Grandpa Jeff and Spencer, 8 - Aunt Chelsea and Sabina, 9 - Sabrina and Mommy

1 - Aunt Jenny and the twins, 2 - Me and the twins, 3 - Sarah and the twins, 4 - Paul holding Olivia, Grandma Stacey holding Aislee, 5 - Paul with Olivia, Grandma Stacey with Aislee, and Kathleen with Spencer, 6 - Grandpa Jeff and Grandma Stacey with the twins, 7 - Grandma and Grandpa with their 3 new grandchildren - their grandchildren have doubled this year!, 8 - Grandma Stacey with Spencer, 9 - Aunt Jenny with Sabrina




2 comments:

Just a thought... said...

Your mom must've been in "grandma heaven" with all of those little ones to love and hold! What beautiful babies they all are. It's amazing how in one month the number of Burkinshaw grandchildren doubled! At this rate we'll never be able to catch up!!

I can't believe how long and blond Sabrina's hair is now. Loved those stripped leggings! (Chelsea's head band was awesome too).

John and Emily Update said...

We loved looking at all the pictures. Now we almost feel like we were there too.