Sunday, October 12, 2008

Fall Festival

On Friday night, we got to attend the Fall Festival that was put on by Benson's elementary school. The kids had fun in the hay bale maze, the bounce houses, playing various games like bowling and basketball, and their favorite, the pony ride! Grace had talked non-stop about the pony ride all day and when we went to put her on, you guessed it, she started bawling. But her daddy helped her get over it and she had fun. I personally was not impressed, especially because the lines were ridiculously long, but I remember thinking school carnivals were so fun as a kid. Benson saw at least 3 kids from his class while we were there, which was fun. Actually I should say that 3 kids from his class said hi to him.
Funny story of the night: As we were walking across the parking lot to the car at the end of the night, there was a little girl who was also leaving who said "Hi Benson." He briefly looked over at her and said "Hi Mikyla" (not sure if that is spelled right or not) and continued on his way. Then the little girl's dad was like "It's Jasmine. But they do look a lot alike." We thought it was pretty funny and very indicative of Benson's social awareness. Mike and I were talking about what happened again tonight and I told Mike that I'm pretty sure that Jasmine is in Benson's group for centers (meaning they spend more time together doing activities than with the rest of the children). Mike said something about how he couldn't believe that Benson didn't even recognize the girl from his center group and all I had to say to him was "Are you in band?" When Mike and I were sophomores in high school, my best friend Kim was a freshman and at the time she had a big crush on Mike. Mike and Kim were both in band and both played the clarinet. At a church dance that year, Mike asked Kim to dance (which was a big deal because she liked him) and then proceeded to ask her "Are you in band?" Not only was she in band, but she played the SAME instrument, they went to marching band practice EVERY morning before school, and she said that she would purposely try to stand by him as much as possible during practice. Needless to say she was crushed. And it was a huge joke between Kim and I and our other friends during high school. I let Mike in on the joke when we were dating after his mission and we still laugh about it when it comes up. Like father, like son!
Anyways, they had fun and it was nice to spend some family time together. We feel like we do a lot of tag team parenting lately. Here are some pictures. The quality is very poor, the camera and I obviously weren't in sync.

1- Benson sliding out of the bounce house, 2- Sabrina shooting hoops, 3- Mike and the kiddos, 4-6 Pony rides

2 comments:

Kim said...

Poor Jasmine! I know from first hand experience what she's going through. Don't worry Mike...it's been 12 years...I'm over it now.

Pam said...

I enjoyed the story too for obvious reasons. ;)