Thursday, December 16, 2010

Lightning strikes twice


Jillian has been sick the past week. It started last Friday with some diarrhea, then a fever Friday night into Saturday morning, then vomiting on Sunday morning. By Monday, we thought she was doing better (no more symptoms) but she was INCREDIBLY fussy all day long. I sat and held her for much of the day, but by dinner time I was getting tired of the fussing and I needed to get something done. So I stuck Jilly in her crib, hoping she would cry herself to sleep (she hadn't napped very well). It became obvious that that wasn't going to work, so I put her in her highchair with some food hoping she would eat (she hadn't done much of that that day either). Mike came home shortly thereafter and was about to pick her up out of her highchair, where she was still crying, when I looked at her and thought that something seemed off. I asked Mike what was wrong with her and he turned around and looked at me and said, "She's having a seizure, call 911."
By the time the EMT's got there, the older kids were over at the next door neighbors and the seizure was over although she still was not responding. They took her temperature in her ear and it was normal. We decided to go ahead and transport her to the ER. I went in the ambulance with her and by that time she was crying again and continued to cry the whole way to the hospital and most of the time we were at the hospital. She was so upset that they had to put her armband on me because they couldn't get her to hold still long enough. Mike joined me at the hospital after some friends came to watch Benson, Grace, and Sabrina. All they did at the hospital was give her motrin and keep us there to watch her. No bloodwork, x-rays, nothing. They diagnosed it as a febrile seizure (just like Sabrina's) and sent us home with instructions to follow-up with the pediatrician in the morning.
She went to bed shortly after we got home and slept really well (better than normal), I know she was just exhausted after the seizure and all that crying. The pediatrician agreed with the febrile seizure assessment, even though she never really had a fever any of the 4 times they took it that night. He didn't feel like we needed to do anything else at this point. If she has another one, we'll reassess.
I seriously didn't think we would be doing this again, and definitely not so soon. Febrile seizures are something that they grow out of, usually by age 6. The younger they are when they have one, the more likely they are to have another one. So I guess we just watch her and see what happens.
I was much calmer this time, probably because a) I'd seen it happen before and everything was fine, b) We were at home, and c) Mike was home and holding her.
People tell us all the time that they think Jilly looks exactly like Sabrina. Maybe that means they have the same bad genes too that cause these stupid seizures. Mike and I have agreed that if there is a next time with either one of them, there will be no calling 911 unless it lasts a really long time or they don't respond relatively quickly afterwards. Here's hoping that this really is the last time!
By the way, Benson, Grace, and Sabrina were quite upset at the time (obviously) but by the time Mike went over to the neighbors to pick them up they were mostly over it. Nellie gave them pizza and cinnamon rolls and let them play with toys, they didn't want to leave. Have I mentioned we have wonderful neighbors and friends here in Manhattan? We really do!

1 comment:

Molly said...

Sorry to hear about your second incident. You're pretty tough, Jess! Can't wait to see you guys!