Last night, Benson and I went over to the school to drop off his supplies and meet his teacher. His teacher's name is Mrs. Cassel. The whole thing was a little overwhelming for me, so I came home and had a little breakdown alone in my room. But Benson seemed excited and ready to go.
We set Benson's alarm to go off at 6:50am. He chose to wake up to the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie soundtrack. We told him he didn't have to get out of bed until we came to get him at 7:00am, we were just trying to help him ease into waking up since he usually isn't very happy when he gets woken up in the morning. It worked! The first thing he said to me when I came in his room was, "I love my alarm" with the most pleasant smile on his face. Silly boy!
I wasn't going to let Benson ride the bus to school this morning since there was confusion over the bus number and schedule so we all got ready so we could drop him off. As we were driving down the street we noticed kids still sitting at the bus stops in the neighborhood and Benson asked if he could please ride the bus. So I gave in, I was more worried about him getting on the right bus at school than getting to school. He sat next to his neighbor friend, Gavin, who is also in kindergarten and away they went.
The girls and I went and picked him up around lunch time since they only had half a day of school today. He was very happy and had lots to tell us about. They took a tour of the centers in their classroom - the only one he mentioned was the sand and water center that has beans instead of sand. They took a tour of the other classrooms at school - music, art, the gym/cafeteria. They got to have recess and he told us the recess rules. And they learned a new song with a dance that he showed us. He was a little disappointed about not riding the bus home or getting to eat lunch at school, but he has many years of that ahead so I'm sure he will be fine.
After school we went to McDonald's for lunch (Mike met us there). Benson kept telling us he was cold and asking me to turn on the heater and he looked REALLY tired. When we got home I realized he and Grace were both running fevers. So now we have exposed the kindergarten to whatever crud we have that we can't seem to get rid of. Benson is currently on antibiotics for an ear infection, but he apparently also picked up the virus that Sabrina had earlier in the week. Yuck! So no school tomorrow, but hopefully we will be better by Friday.
And here's some photographic documentation

I feel a little guilty looking at the picture on the right because he doesn't look like he feels very well. No mother of the year award for me!
2 comments:
Jessica, can you believe it?! We're officially school mom's!!! WOW. Weird. I always love looking at the pictures of your kids but I've never bothered to click on one and blow it up... until now. I cannot believe how grown up Benson looks. He looks like a totally different little boy. I am soooo sorry about him being sick and then having to miss a chunk of the first week. That just stinks. I hope everything works out and he's able to start next week if not finish this.
Good luck this year.
-Rachel
It's amazing to realize that this is the first time in 25 years that I haven't sent one of my kids of to public school. It is also the first time one of my grandchildren has gone. I'm sure Ben will love it and do really well. Hope you feel better soon Ben. Can't wait to see all of you next weekend. Have a safe trip.
Post a Comment