Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sunset Zoo

On Thursday we crossed another item off our MUST DO BEFORE BENSON STARTS SCHOOL list - a visit to the Sunset Zoo. The weather could not have been more perfect. As we were driving to the zoo at 11:30am the temperature in the van said 68 degrees. I was actually really impressed with the zoo especially since this is such a small town. The animals were so close to us and were all out walking around, I'm sure partly because the weather was so nice. I intended to stay for 2 hours but we ended up being there for almost 4! The kids had a great time and loved seeing all the animals. The first animals we saw were the chimpanzees and as we were walking out of the building where they were kept, Benson caught a glimpse of the next animal and said, "Is that a colobus monkey? Oh it is a colobus monkey!" I thought he was making up a name or something, but sure enough when we got over to the plaque its said that the animals in the cage were indeed colobus monkeys. I don't think I have ever seen colobus monkeys before and I definitely couldn't have identified them. I kept asking Benson how he knew that and I think we determined that he learned it from a library DVD we checked out earlier in the summer called Really Wild Animals.

Colobus Monkey

Going to the zoo with Benson is always lots of fun because he throws out all sorts of random animal facts as we walk around. It was a really fun day and we all came home worn out. We were lucky to be able to fit it in this week since all 3 kids were running a fever a different day this week.


No comments: